Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What's This???



I started making scrappy nine patches for a quilt that won't be done for a very long time...planning ahead LOL.... I'll do some each month until I have enough for a quilt. How many is a quilt you say??? Haven't even decided what the layout will be or what size it will be yet (did I say planning?) These are cut 1 1/2" strips for a finished size of 3"....sooo cute aren't they? Now see the yellow nine patch that's slightly bigger....I had a light bulb moment that went dim really fast...lol. I thought since I was cutting 1 1/2" strips why not make blocks for 2 other quilts (Acorn Quilt and Simple Traditions Doll Quilt).....hmmm not such a good idea. My thought was that I could make blocks for 3 quilts at once (ambitious huh...LOL, I think I'll need a bigger room for such a feat), they all use 1 1/2" strips....why can't I. It seems much more organization is needed then I was prepared to do (quilting is fun right?), besides the bigger one has a couple of different cuts. The shoofly block is 1 1/2" strips with the half square triangle being 2" and cut on the diagonal, I found this one being a smaller quilt much more manageable to track while making 9 patches. The blocks are all done for the shoofly, now I'm ready to assemble the top. So the end of the story is that the Acorn Quilt didn't get off the ground. That's it for now, from my scrambled thoughts...I hope you could follow.
More to come...

10 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness - I love, love all of those blocks!

You have some great plans!!!!

Carole said...

Those are some sweet blocks! Love that pattern. I almost bought it until I remembered that I saw it in Comfort and Joy, which I bought and it was all Darlene's fault. LOL Great book! Have fun!

dutchcomfort said...

You are some ambitious quilter! The blocks look great. I have the same urging to work on different things at the same time. Could it be an Aquarius characteristic??

Nan said...

What can I say?? They are gorgeous, and I'll take them ALL! What, you're not giving them away?!? LOL!! They really are lovely, Wendy - you do good work.
I also wanted to THANK YOU for your supportive words regarding my upcoming business enterprise - I appreciate it so very much!

Chookyblue...... said...

very nice Wendy........

Susan said...

I won't be working with anything that small, but it looks cute when *you* do it. LOL! They are going to be the middle of the star? Do I understand that right?

I often work on several quilts at a time, but you do have to keep track of what you are doing, and I'm not strip piecing when I do.

I love shoo-fly blocks, but make mine 9". =)

Juliann in WA said...

Best laid plans as they say? But I do love those little blocks. I made some small blocks for a quilt in one of Kim Diehl's books and I love them but it was hard work using such small pieces. The Acorn pattern is really pretty.

Knot Garden said...

They are lovely and such nice fabrics. I like both those patterns.

Meredith said...

Not only could I follow you but I knew exactly what doll quilt you were talking about. I have teh book and want to make one also. I love your blocks. I always seem to get confused when I cut for more then 1 project at a time. Have fun!

Helen in the UK said...

What gorgeous blocks. Look forward to seeing the shooflies as you put them together :)