Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sewing Case and Block Exchange

I've made some progress on my little sewing case. I'm doing this with my stitching group that meets once per month. One of the ladies is an excellent teacher and quilter, her quilting is exquisite and she is being very patient with us while making this case. The gusset and the zipper have been sewn, I did hand sew them first and then by machine, the zipper slides around too much for me, so the hand sewing is well worth the effect. I still need to hand quilt the gusset. The front and back of the sewing case have been quilted and I'm working on the piping, again hand sewing to keep in place before machine sewing. Next week at our meeting we'll be working on the handle and I think assembling the case....I guess I'll find out.
I didn't make this block, this is part of a block exchange I'm doing with another sewing group. Two different groups are exchanging with each other. We were to make a 12" block and exchange with someone (your partner is a secret and from another group). Then we are to add piecing, appliqué whatever we want to the block without going over the 24" maximum size. I've been working on this one and because it's due next week, I'll wait until then to show you what I've done.
Isn't this Amaryllis beautiful? My daughter gave me the bulb for Christmas with instructions for planting. And here it grew into 2 very large blooms. One stalk has 3 blooms and the other has 4 blooms. A wonderful splash of colour for this time of year.

Tonya asked me what *VBS* stands for. Very Big Smiles to all of you.

23 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Baby! I LOVE this sewing case. Now if you give me pictures on how you did that gusset I bet I could make this! I love it so much! And I can't wait to see what you do with that block!

Beth said...

I just love your sewing case. I am sure you will put it to good use. Your flowers are great, it makes me think spring for sure.

Belvie said...

I really like your sewing case and can't wait to see it finished.

I love your amaryllis. I have had mine for 6 years, but I can never get it to bloom in the winter. It bloomed last year in May. Oh well, I enjoy it whenever it decides to bloom. It's just a lovely flower!

Floss said...

The little sewing case is so cute, can't wait to see it finished.

Knot Garden said...

The sewing case is coming along beautifully. The block exchange sounds fun!

Doodlebug Gail said...

What pretty blooms - I could use some of that colour to brighten up this bitterly cold we're having.

That's a cute little sewing bag - don't forget to show us the finished product (all filled up with goodies of course).

Take care.

Pam said...

That is just the cutest little sewing case!! I wonder if there is the need for a tutorial for your favourite bloggers -- hint, hint :))

That is so sweet of Darlene to send you the Sewing Annie -- she is pretty cute! I bet she looks cute sitting next to the sewing machine.

Have a great weekend.

Ginger Patches said...

Those sewing cases are adorable...and I love that block!

Karen said...

Hi Wendy,
It's Karen from Little Jo's in Bellingham. I just love reading your blog. The sewing case is adorable. I love the plaids your using. The block is so pretty with all the red triangles. It sounds like your keeping busy and having fun.
See you next month at Two Thimbles.

canquilt said...

I love that block. What is it called? It would make a fantastic quilt

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Stunning block....and your sewing case...wow...what a great idea...

Unknown said...

This sewing case is going to be great.

Karen said...

Oh I'm loving that sewing case. How cute will that be when it's done and fun to use. Zippers scare me, LOL. That block is very cool and it will be fun to see what you do with it. Beautiful burst of spring by your windowsill.

Hugs - Karen

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Beautiful flowers!!! That bag is very cool. I dont like making bags that small. They never turn out for me. Yours looks great.
And VBS I thought was Vacation Bible School. LOL!!!!

dutchcomfort said...

I love Amaryllis. And your sewing case looks great.

Unknown said...

The picture of your ironing board is lovely! And i love the sewing case. The big swap block looks great but it will be a bit difficult to appliqué something to it or did I understand this wrong? Take care.

*karendianne. said...

Holy Shmoly we have to wait until next week to see the rest of this great block? I can't wait really!!!

Karen who thinks maybe Holy Shmoly isn't a word. ;)

~Bren~ said...

Your sewing case is GORGEOUS!!! The block you received is wonderful too!

Happy Zombie said...

I'm drooling over your sewing case/bag!!!!

annemariesquilt said...

Your sewing case it just beautiful and the fabrics are lovely......

Carole said...

Nice block! Nice sewing case! You are so talented! I had an Amaryllis but after a couple of years it sort of died on me! Beautiful!

Jeanne said...

The sewing case is so cute! I love it. The amaryllis is beautiful, too.

Mar said...

That little case is just too adorable and will ya look at those zipper pulls! Love it!