Thursday, July 24, 2008

Painting is Done!

There you go, what was a drab basement bedroom is now bright and fresh...darn it I should have taken a "before" picture. Being in the basement I needed a colour that was cheerful and won't look dark in the winter, I think this room now sings to me and will be a pleasant room for guests to sleep in. The shelf under the window runs the whole length of the room. The colour is Benjamin Moore paint "Castleton Mist" and the trim is "Cloud White".
The first piece of furniture I bought last week at a Kids store called "Kiss a Frog", such a sweet store with lots of painted furniture similar to this one. Wouldn't it look so nice with a lamp and a couple of books next to the bed....oh that's right I still need to find a bed....minor detail....LOL
I had this window frame and have been waiting for the right place to hang. This new bedroom seems like the prefect choice. I was thinking of putting this old quilt behind the window but now that I see the picture it isn't working for me. Help....I need some advise on this one. What do you think I should do, leave the window empty or possibly make a more suitable quilt???? I was looking through some of my quilting books last night and found a Window Quilts by Ginger Cookie Co, there is a really cute flower one that would fit the frame, you might know the one I mean.
Since I'm taking pictures in the basement, how about that Loo??? Have you seen anything so small??? There's a reason for the redwork quilt being so high, I'm trying to cover a very ugly window. I'm told this room would have originally (96 years ago) been the coal room and that window is how the coal was brought in....sounds like a dirty messy job to me. One day hubby would like to open one side of the wall to join this room with the shower and sink room. That would be a big job so it's way down the priority list.
I'll leave you with a garden picture. The hydrangeas are taking over the side of my house. I can hardly walk down the sidewalk anymore, I've cut these back a couple of times already, they look so beautiful right now I don't want to cut them.

Happy Stitching.

28 comments:

Ruth said...

I love the color of your guest room and the night stand is great! Were you thinking about cutting down the old quilt to fit the frame? I really like that idea, but I think something brighter would be better - just a thought. The flowers are wonderful too!

Sweet P said...

What a gorgeous room! I would make a quilt to fit the window. The pink quilt is too pretty to cut apart.

Pam said...

Looks great Wendy. I love the Benjamin Moore colours! Nothing better than a grand old house with all the trims and corners and nooks and crannies that they come with. I do think you need to make a special quilt just to go in the window!! You could use another project - right??

Knot Garden said...

I love the colour on the walls and the white contrast. You did a beautiful job. The window will make a lovely feature. I think I would look into making a quilt to fit it, although I do like the pale pink quilt with the other colours. Maybe you could include it somewhere else in the room? Old houses are so interesting.

Unknown said...

You have done a wonderful job on the room, it looks so great. I would make a new quilt for the window frame.

Donna said...

If you do cut those hydrangeas you had better send them my way. They are absolutely gorgeous! I am just going to have to plant some of my own next year. Your room is also lovely. I really like the green.

Carole said...

Love the colour! A cheerful room indeed! Painting is lots of work but oh so nice once it's completed! Keep well!

sewkalico said...

I love the color scheme in the room! A bed for that quilt (and room) would be good LOL. Something a bit more contrasty for the window frame I would think, but it's a lovely feature.
The history of the loo is so quirky - I love things like that.

Libby said...

What a great wall color . . . you found a real keeper.
I have an old window frame that is empty and hung over the fireplace. Throughout the year, I'll have different seasonal wreaths on it or sometimes slip a quilt that's the right size behind it. But I don't mind it being empty if I have nothing.

Carol said...

Love the paint color and omg that bathroom is as cute as it can be. Oh how I wish we could grow hydrangeas here...they are just beautiful!

Patti said...

I'd make a quilt specifically to fit the window frame. I've seen that book and it's got great ideas in it. I think you'd be really happy with the results.

The red and white in the loo is perfect!

Lynn said...

Oh this is gorgeous!!! You've done a great job! I think I'd make another quilt for the window. that pink one is too pretty to cut. Maybe drape that pink one over a white rocking chair.

Karen said...

Wendy,
I love the color of your guest room. You always do such a beautiful job picking out colors and putting things together, whether it's your quilts or the rooms in your house.
The window frame if wonderful. Have you thought about putting family pictures in each pane. The quilting idea,of course, is great too.
Have fun creating.
Hugs,
Karen

Darlene said...

Oh, Wendy what a sweet room - you've been working hard and your efforts have paid off. I love the red and white quilt in the LOO.

I don't know what to suggest for the window frame and quilt - I'm sorry!

Texan said...

I love that wall color!!!! I mean love it! The Window frame would be pretty just hanging empty on the wall but making a quilt to put behind it would give you a opportunity to bring in the other colors you plan for your room?
So that is not help but my opinion LOL...

Love the Hydrangeas I have them here too and they are just my favorite!

Lurline said...

Hi Wendy,
I love it all ... especially the hydrangeas ... can't wait for spring here!
Quilty hugs - Lurline.

Anonymous said...

Great color choice for your basement room! If your too busy at moment to make a new quilt for the frame than perhaps a favorite fabric that you hate to cut up? I'm thinking of a floral to give it that looking outside feeling.

Happy Zombie said...

Oh my! I love the color, I love the look... what an amazing room (and the loo is darling too). So... do you take reservations???

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love love love your little loo. That is sooo cute.

Diane said...

The room came out lovely. I really love the end table. It is beautiful.

Malagueta said...

Gorgeous hydrangea!!! I would leave the frame empty.

Lyn said...

Hi Wendy, I love the new colours you chose for the basement. The Loo looks pretty swisho with white/red combination.Where we used to live we had a large old garden some of the plants were fifty years old. I miss my hydrangeas and magnolia bush.Warmest Regards Lyn

Kim said...

Definitely make a quilt to fit that window frame, it'll be wonderful. I just bought a pot of blue hydrangeas this summer. Aren't they just beautiful?!

Candace said...

Everything looks very charming, and like a very comfortable cheerful place to be a guest (with the addition of a bed of course). Even the little loo is charming.

Stina Blomgren said...

Hi there...Love your new guest room its a fantastic colour!! And for the old window...love it as it is...just decorate it...with seasons theme...or put a lace curtain from one side and dried flowers... oh I think you come up with a great idea...
And wow ...love your hydrangeas!!! Amazing!!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Why not pop on over to Karen's blog at http://yellowfarmhouse.typepad.com/

She had some cute window frame/quilt ideas a few posts back.

Love your new baskets quilt!

janetsue2 said...

Hello,
Since you like embroidery, what about a medium pink floss in pink work? I each of the window panes flowers or baskets of flowers?
Just an idea. I love your room and the night stand for the bed when you find the perfect one. :)

voyance said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
voyance amour